Monday, May 9, 2011

Exercise: Why and Why Not to Write

Open a new document and title it I Want to Write Because . . . . Set your timer for three minutes. During that time, I want you to write down as many reasons as you can that describe why you want to write. Maybe it makes you feel good. Maybe you like giving limericks to people in birthday cards. Maybe it creates a sense of history for you. List all of the reasons you can think of in three minutes.

For the second part of this first exercise, you will consider the negative side of the question. On the same document, drop down and add a new heading called I Don't Want to Write Because . . . .

Give yourself three minutes to write down every reason that you don't want to write. Perhaps you're too busy. Maybe sometimes you're embarrassed by what you write. Put down as many reasons as you can. Set your timer, and do it now.

These contrasting lists can help you discover how you may be stopping yourself. Reflect on the reasons that you do and do not want to write. Are they valid? Are you stuck with them? How much choice do you have? Where do these thoughts and feelings come from? Is there a sum or conclusion that comes out of combining the two lists?


1. I Want to Write… I want to write because it makes me feel good. I love coming up with new expressions, being a word smith, creating contrasts people haven’t thought of before and coming up with characters and plots that are intriguing. I like the positive feedback, the feeling that people are getting something from what I write. But I would write even without people reading. I need a creative outlet and I let this shut down for so long I forgot how much more complete I am when I am creating, writing, talking to others with similar ideas, sharing ideas, feeding the creative mind. Once I start doing it, I want more, want to write more, want to network more, chat with more people, read and share back and forth. it feeds into itself. The more we do, the more we want to. In some ways I want to write because I feel personal pride when I do. It’s embarrassing also sometimes that I feel as strongly as I do. But that is for next assignment.

2. I Don’t Want to Write... I don’t want to write because I am embarrassed of people reading my stuff. What if they don’t like it, what if they think I suck? I also am afraid of being redundant, coming up with the same old stuff, no new ideas and all that. I would be happy with an old idea, new twist. I am afraid to have people read my writing and make judgements on me personally. Writing is very personal, it exposes what you believe inside. I don’t like to expose myself. I hate being affected by people’s criticisms and keep catching myself doing that. I don’t want to write because it is too personal, even the fictional stuff. There are elements of me in all the characters, in all the scenes, pieces doled out and put on display. For people to pick that apart if disturbing and frightening.

3. Conclusions... Both responses are based on how others react, others’ feelings about what I write. As Howard Roark says, “Either you believe in something or you don’t – you can’t have it both ways and be honest with yourself.” So the question is - Do I believe I am a writer? Not a good writer, just a writer.

At the moment I am having a crisis of employment, you could say. My boss is retiring at the end of July, the Dean is planning on making changes to the International side which I work for. He has been planning that forever though, so who knows if it will happen. I’m not adverse to being moved around but what usually happens in you are just told “This in your new station and job. Enjoy” without warning or explanation. That is what happened to me last time and I knew something was up but no one would say anything to me. That’s what chaps my hide the most. I know things changes, an organization changes. But don’t treat me like a blind child.

I started to look at this job as a means to an end... It would bring income while I honed my writer’s craft. Taking this class and talking to classmates as well as talking to another writer friend online about how she is pursuing journalism online as a career, I don’t know how much I need this job, especially for the headache it is sometimes dealing with personalities and internal politics. I mean, it really bothers me that two of the highest level execs are screwing around and everyone pretends it’s not happening. There is something morally wrong with that.

Anyway, now I am feeling restless. I’ve been thinking of a plan to do more writing and maybe get paid for it. I’m not sure about getting paid to blog and all that, but I like editing and have seen some jobs on Craig’s list and Freelance Writing Jobs that would allow me to do that and make a little side money. So here is what I was thinking:
  1. Clean up my fan fiction for grammar, typos and facts. I still have errors after reading parts over. I really do suck at editing my own stuff. But I want to use the info on my writing resume and I can’t apply for a copy editing job and have mistakes all over my writing!

  1. Revise my resume for writing, list all writing, paid or non.

  1. Scope Craig’s list and Freelance Writing Jobs for copy editing, editing jobs. Go for about $3 per 100 words.

  1. Use the income from these jobs to pay for additional online classes.

No comments:

Post a Comment